Monday, January 18, 2010

How can I drive in or remove nails that were not completely drive in by my nail gun from house siding?

I am replacing siding on my house. About every tenth nail my nail gun doesn't drive in all the way (leaving about 1/2 to 3/4 showing). If I try and pull the nail out, the head pulls off. If I drive to drive it in furhter with a hammer, the nail bends. Help.How can I drive in or remove nails that were not completely drive in by my nail gun from house siding?
Use a pair of channel locks to grip the nail shaft and pull it out with that. Also, I'm sure you are aware that the nails on siding are not supposed o hammered it fully tight. You need to allow a little slop to provide for the expansion and contraction of the siding.How can I drive in or remove nails that were not completely drive in by my nail gun from house siding?
Try using nail punches. They come in different sizes go to your nearest hardware store there not that expensive. It's better to drive them in than taking them out then you'll have to use caulking for the holes.
I find driving the nail ';home'; easiest with a 7/16ths bolt and a framing hammer. If you would like to remove the nail, hardware stores carry a nail pulling tool to fit your need. Ask the attendant. Vice gripes are a terrible idea.
Your nailer needs to be looked at before you go farther. but your question is simple. get a scrap of siding and place it near the nail that needs to be removed and grasp it with a set of channel locks .make sure the scrap of siding is under your channel locks so as not to damage your siding when you pull out the misfired nail.
Yep, that's the way with gun nails. It's the glue on the nails that causes it. The glue gets hot when the nail goes in and sets when cooled.


More than difficult to drive in and or remove if allowed to sit. I would suggest using WD-40 on the nails while in the gun. Allows some leeway. When nailing guns were first interduced, we used to make a mixture of paint thinner and bees wax to lubricate the nails. Smile.


There is a fencing pliers available in some areas which are designed to pull large fencing staples. These grip the nail shaft instead of the head. Have found then to work on nails I couldn't pull any other way. Check with a hardware store or a farm supply store.


Good luck.





Also, to prevent this from occuring, check your air pressure, your compressor may not hold enough pressure with ten nails. Try five or six nails and let it recover.


Hisemiester
Use a nail punch to drive the nails, Or a12d nail will work too.Try to adjust the pressure on the nail gun. If you do pull the nails, worm them out and make sure you have a thin piece of wood to put against your siding so you dont ruin the surface. I use a pair of pliers, or the exhumer a nail puller made by Dead On, it's just a great tool.
fordmans right .but use vice grips to pull out .grip on the nail very low and roll the nail out

No comments:

Post a Comment